Wednesday, September 3, 2014

U4EA Journal, 2014-07-26 (back dated)

A brown covered, wire-bound journal.
~ LazyJ's "U4EA" Journal ~
When paramat first released his "Watershed" mapgen mod for Minetest, I became excited. This was the mapgen that instantly felt right for my U4EA project plans.

The only problem was that none of my favorite landscaping mods would work with it.

When Watershed v0.2.09 was released, it was during the time when I was beginning to tinker with mods more; trying to fix them for Wazuland2 (now known as LinuxGaming). I applied what little I understood, at the time, and was able to get my favorite landscaping mods to work with Watershed.

I posted some screenshots of the results of my tinkering. paramat seemed to like the screenshots and quite a while later I received a PM from another forum member asking how I managed to get the landscape mods to work in Watershed. (Here's the link to my post on Minetest.net forums that has the screenshots and my comments from my first attempt at creating a custom setup for U4EA.)

During that period, paramat was actively developing Watershed so I held-off and waited for the development to slow before committing to honing Watershed for my personal use in U4EA.

v0.4.3 is when that time came.

I had learned more about Lua and Minetest mods and set to work on customizing Watershed and my collection of mods for U4EA to work together. I began creating my own, personal, highly customized, sub-game.

After I had made enough progress, I posted another set of screenshots and comments on Watershed's thread. This is what is possible with Watershed; this is the type of world I want to create in.

As I am writing this memoir note, Watershed's development has been sitting at v0.4.8 for over two weeks (it's been a month or more since v0.4.3 was released, development has really slowed), U4EA is in the latter stages of two prototype worlds, "u4ea_tinkering" for mod testing and "u4ea_scouting" for exploring and map making without building or landscaping.

It is now to the point were I'm just installing and tweaking updates to the other U4EA mods.

Hehehe... After all this I'm afraid to start the actual, long-term world of U4EA and set the first block in it.



About Comments
Be civil and show some class toward your fellow commenters.

Trolls will be ignored as will posts containing swear-words or alternate spellings of swear words.

No comments:

Post a Comment