Saturday, January 16, 2016

Steampunk Canyon - Preview

A small airship, houseboat, waterwheel, bridge and two houses jutting out from a shear cliff.
 ~ Steampunk Canyon - Intro ~
(click picture for larger version)



One of my on-going projects is on a Minetest server hosted in Russia. While touring the server, I came across a secluded location inside a small, steep-walled canyon.

My first thought about the canyon was, "What could anyone possibly build in a spot like this,... that would suit a spot like this?"

I went back to the populated areas of the server and continued my tour; all the while thoughts about the little canyon kept tugging at the corners of my mind. When I was done sight-seeing I headed back to the canyon and stared at the cliff walls.

Something was there,... but I wouldn't know what it was until I could stack some blocks and let it take shape. So I went through the process to gain the interact priv then started placing blocks of dirt on the cliff wall to rough-out an idea. After that, the thoughts that had been tugging at the corners of my mind pooled together into an idea for another project - "Steampunk Canyon".

The general idea is to build on the sides of the cliff walls, leaving the airspace in the middle of the canyon for airships and the canyon floor for agriculture.

The front half of a wooden ship sticking out from a cliff with a house where the mast should be.
 ~ Steampunk Canyon - Houseboat ~
(click picture for larger version)


I never know what a project will actually look like, I just have ideas of what kind of elements I want to have in the project. I will often rough-in shapes for builds or lines for paths and roads.

In this next screenshot, I used super glow-glass to layout the next branch of the path, where it will bridge over the water and an elevator of some type. At the top of the super glow-glass column, I roughed-in a platform with dirt blocks. It didn't take long for grass to grow on the dirt.

Dirt is cheap and is easy to break with your wield hand so it is good for roughing-out shapes and ideas or using as scaffolding. However, dirt is difficult to plan with when working on the grass and dirt of the ground; that's where super glow-glass shines (literally). When planning roads and paths on the ground, I prefer to use super glow-glass because it is easy to see both day and night.

A line of super glow-glass blocks indicating, roughly, where the next branch of the path will go.
 ~ Steampunk Canyon - Path Planning ~
(click picture for larger version)


The first builds of my Steampunk Canyon project were the waterwheel and generator, the house above them, and the covered bridge off to the side.

A small, rustic, wooden house over a waterwheel and generator building to the side of a humpback bridge and elevator.
 ~ Steampunk Canyon - First Builds ~
(click picture for larger version)


With steampunk stuff, buildings can be machines themselves. The waterwheel turns a large, horizontal gear in that spins around the middle of the generator building.

A waterwheel driving a horizontal gear in a stone, dome-topped building.
 ~ Steampunk Canyon - Generator ~
(click picture for larger version)


Above the generator building is a small, rustic house where I imagine the generator's maintenance chief lives.

A small, wooden house with a steep roof sitting on a stone-brick platform on the cliff wall.
 ~ Steampunk Canyon - First House Built ~
(click picture for larger version)


Climbing straight down a ladder from the house to the generator would be easy but not very interesting, visually. I had no idea how the maintenance chief would get down there but I knew that I wanted a bridge to span the two canyon walls in the corner. After I started the building the bridge, the notion struck me to create a lift for the maintenance chief to use to get down to the generator.

A short, wooden bridge with a very pronounced hump in its roof, spans between cliff walls.
 ~ Steampunk Canyon - Humpback Bridge ~
(click picture for larger version)


The bridge connects to a short tunnel that leads out onto a circular deck which connects to steps leading up to a tall, narrow house that is staggered and set into the canyon wall.

A three-story, staggered house embedded into a cliff.
 ~ Steampunk Canyon - Second House Built ~
(click picture for larger version)


The canyon has a couple narrow passages where the river cuts through. I don't know yet if I will span these with bridges or keep them open for water and air traffic.

A staggered house in the cliff at one end of the canyon's river.
 ~ Steampunk Canyon - End of Preview ~
(click picture for larger version)


"Steampunk Canyon" is another one of my putter projects, on a server far, far away, where I escape to from time-to-time. More screenshots and commentary to come as little bits are added here and there.



About Comments:
Be civil and show some class toward your fellow commenters.

Trolls will be ignored as will posts containing swear-words or alternate spellings of swear words.

No comments:

Post a Comment